Yield: six portions
Bacon & Vegetables
- 1 c. bacon, cut into thick small pieces
- 1/4 c. clarified butter
- 1 c. onions, Spanish, small dice
- 1 c. carrots, small dice
- 1 c. celery, small dice
- 1 c. red wine
- 2 each bay leaves
- 1/4 c. parsley, chopped
- 1/4 c. thyme, fresh, stripped, chopped
- 1 lb. brown lentils
- 1 pt. water
- 2 c. veal stock
- 1/2 c. whole butter, for monte
- to taste salt
- to taste ground black pepper
- 2 lb. salmon fillets, cut into 6 equal pieces
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 c. thyme, fresh, stripped
- 1/2 c. clarified butter
Bacon & Vegetables procedure:
- Over high heat, caramelize bacon with the butter. Drain off the extra fat, and add the vegetables, lowering the heat.
- Sweat vegetables until they begin to become brightly colored and just tender. Reserve.
- Add the lentils, red wine, veal stock, herbs and water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Lower heat, cover and braise until the lentils just become tender. Stir in the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add the vegetables just before serving, heating as needed.
- Season each fillet at service. Sear on both sides until caramelized, making certain to cook the fish only to medium rare.
- Plate by portioning the lentil stew into the dish. Slice the salmon into three pieces and lay on top of the lentils.