Yield: six dinner portions
- 1 c. olive oil
- 2 each eggplants, skin removed, cut into 4 pieces lengthwise
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 c. Spanish onions, diced
- 1 lb. stewing beef, cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 each green hot peppers, preferably Anaheim, seeded, chopped
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 3 each limes, fresh squeezed
- 3 c. tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 c. tomato paste
- Sauté the eggplant pieces over high heat in a large heavy bottom saucepan until they are browned. Remove them from the pan; season them while still warm with the salt and garlic powder.
- Add the onions to the same pan and sauté until they just begin to turn brown, and then add the beef, continuing to sauté over high heat until they turn brown. Add the turmeric and black pepper, stirring until the beef absorbs it.
- Add the remaining ingredients along with the eggplant pieces. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for one hour or until the beef is fork tender.
- Serve over your favorite rice.