Yield: four dinner portions
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. Jamaican curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 each chicken leg and thighs, cut in half
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 each red cooking apples (Macintosh or Cortland cored and cut into thin wedges)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 c. cold water
- 1/4 c. dry white wine
- as needed no-stick spray
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Thoroughly mix together the spices in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large frying or sauté pan. Sprinkle the chicken with some of the spice mix. Brown the chicken on all sides. After all the chicken is browned, remove it from the sauté pan and add the white wine, stirring and scraping to remove any particles of chicken still in the pan (deglaze). Reserve the wine in the pan.
- Lay the apple slices evenly in the bottom of a large baking dish that has been coated lightly with no-stick spray. Sprinkle the apples with most of the remaining spice mix. Place the browned chicken on top of the apples, skin side up. Place the remaining apple slices over the chicken. Pour the wine over the chicken and apples. Sprinkle any remaining spice mix over the apples. Seal the dish with foil.
- Bake the chicken for about 45 to 60 minutes in the 350° oven. The chicken will be fully cooked and tender, and the apples will become very soft.
- Serve the chicken with the apples as a side dish, your favorite green vegetable and some rice, with some of the sauce poured over the top.