Yield: two 9-inch cheesecakes
- 2 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/4 c. melted butter
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 lb. cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 3/4 lb. caramel pieces, melted over a water bath
- 1 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 4 each eggs
- 1 c. sour cream
- 3 c. Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, medium dice
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 c. granulated sugar
- Combine the graham crackers with the butter and sugar, mixing until the cracker crumbs have become soft and they hold their shape when pressed. Shape them into the bottom of the two cheesecake pans.
- Combine cream cheese and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat at medium speed until the cheese has absorbed the sugar and is fluffy.
- Mix the heavy cream and the caramel together over a water bath. Stir frequently, until the caramel has melted completely. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Mix the sour cream, eggs and vanilla together with a whisk until they are completely combined. Slowly add to the cheese, until it is smooth and combined.
- Add the melted caramel, mixing with a spoon until it is completely absorbed by the cheese.
- Add the apples, cinnamon and sugar, stirring until they are mixed in completely.
- Pour the apple filling into the cake pans with the crust until the pans are 2/3 full. Place the cakes on a sheet pan and place them in the oven. Pour some water on the sheet pan so it is 1/8 of the way up the edge of the pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours, or until the cheesecake puffs in the center. Allow to cool completely before unmolding. Serve well-chilled.