Yield: four portions
- 1/4 c. clarified butter
- 1 Tbsp. shallots, chopped
- 1/2 c. fresh morel mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
- 2 c. fresh crimini mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
- 1 c. fresh blue foot chanterelles, stemmed, sliced
- 1 c. fresh oyster mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
- 1/2 c. cream sherry
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, stripped
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1/2 c. breadcrumbs
- to taste salt
- to taste ground black pepper
- 1 each sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 each large egg, beaten well for egg wash
- as needed fresh thyme, stripped
- as needed coarse ground black pepper
- In the butter in a large sauté pan, sweat the shallots with all the mushrooms until the mushrooms weep and there is some moisture in the pan. Add the sherry and herbs and simmer for 5 minutes. Add just enough breadcrumbs to absorb any extra liquid that collects in the pan. Adjust the seasonings, move the mushroom mixture to a bowl and cool completely.
- Lay mushroom filling evenly lengthwise on the puff pastry. Roll up and brush the outside layer with the egg wash. Sprinkle with thyme and pepper.
- Bake in a low-sided cookie sheet for 10 minutes at 375°F until the strudel is browned completely. Allow to cool for 5 minutes so the strudel firms up, then slice and serve hot.