Yield: eight sandwiches
Step 1 - Lentils
- 1/4 c. red lentils
- 1/4 c. yellow lentils
- 1/4 c. black lentils
- 1/4 c. green lentils
- 2 c. water
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/2 c. scallion greens, sliced thin
- 1/2 c. carrots, chopped fine
- 1/2 c. celery, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- as needed salt
- as needed ground black pepper
Step 2 - Goat Cheese and Tapenade
- 4 oz. goat cheese, regional or Chevre or Montrachet
- 1 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh chive, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1/2 c. black olives, pitted, drained
- 1/4 c. fresh garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 c. cured Greek olives, pitted
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. scallion whites, sliced
- 1/4 c. carrots, shredded
- 1/4 c. celery, fine chopped
- 1/4 c. zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- as needed salt and ground black pepper
- 8 each plain or flavored flour tortillas
Step 1 - Lentils procedure:
- Cook each variety in simmering water until they are tender; chill them with cold water and drain well. The red lentils cook in about 15 minutes; the rest take between 45 minutes and 1 hour. Lentils do not need to be soaked before cooking. Sauté the vegetables in the olive oil until they are just tender. Add the cold lentils and stir to evenly distribute the vegetables. Add the herbs and seasoning. This can be served hot or cold on the sandwich.
Step 2 - Goat Cheese and Tapenade procedure:
- For the Goat Cheese: Combine the cheese with the parsley, chive, oregano, marjoram and pepper. Chill well.
- For the Tapenade: Thoroughly purée all of the ingredients (tomatoes, black olives, garlic, Greek olives and olive oil) in a food processor or blender. Chill well.
Vegetable Slaw procedure:
- Combine all of the ingredients just before service.
- Just before service, lay the tortilla flat. Spread a thin layer of tapenade on the wrap so that the wrap is completely covered. Lay some of the lentils down the center of the wrap. Dot some of the goat cheese on the lentils. Top the cheese with the slaw. Gently fold up the wrap so that the filling is completely sealed. This can be warmed seam-side down over medium heat in a no-stick frying pan so that the wrap is hot but the inside is cold for contrast. Of course, the wrap can be served completely cold.
- To serve, cut the wrap in half on the bias. Serve with an additional small amount of the tapenade.