Yield: four portions
Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. cream sherry
- bun. reserved mushroom stems, from mushroom strudel recipe
- 1 each sprig, fresh thyme
- 1 each bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. clarified butter
- 1/8 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. fresh marjoram, stripped and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, stripped and chopped
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. veal scalloppine, cut into 12 pieces
Mushroom Cream Sauce procedure:
- In a small saucepot, simmer the water, cream, sherry, mushroom stems, thyme and bay leaf for about 1/2 hour. Strain the stems and herbs and discard, returning the mushroom cream to low heat. Combine the butter and flour in a small saucepot and cook until the mixture smells lightly toasted and is lightly browned. Whisk a little roux at a time into the hot mushroom cream, increase the heat to medium, and stir. The cream should be the consistency of medium sauce, coating the back of a spoon. Hold warm.
- Combine the flour, spices and herbs. Coat the veal in the seasoned flour. Sauté over high heat for about 1 minute on each side, until the pieces and browned and fully cooked.
- Serve the veal napped with the mushroom cream sauce.