Yield: one pizza
- 1/2 lb. Vidalia onions, sliced thin across the ribs
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
- 1 each Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, stripped and chopped
- 1/2 lb. pancetta bacon, cut into small diced pieces
- 1 each frozen bread dough loaf, thawed in the refrigerator overnight
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- as needed no-stick spray
- 1/4 lb. Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 lb. Toscanello cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c. block Parmesan cheese, shredded
- as needed fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped fine
Onion Topping procedure:
- Over high heat, sauté the Vidalia onions in the oil until they are browned. Add the vinegar and continue cooking until all of the liquid has evaporated. Add the apples and the rosemary and toss until the apples begin to soften slightly. Chill the onion topping.
Pancetta Bacon procedure:
- In a separate sauté pan over high heat, add the pancetta bacon and cook it, stirring frequently until the bacon turns deep golden brown. Remove the bacon to a plate with absorbent paper and allow it to cool.
- Roll or stretch out your bread dough on a baking sheet that is sprayed with the no-stick spray and drizzled with the olive oil, so that it covers the entire flat surface of the baking pan. Top the dough evenly with the onion apple mixture, the three cheeses, the pancetta bacon, chives and fresh ground pepper.
- Bake in a pre-heated 400°F oven for about 25 minutes or until the cheese is golden on top and the crust is crisp and browned on the bottom.