Yield: six portions
- 2 lb. Spanish onions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. prosciutto, sliced thick and diced
- 1 1/2 c. fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb. penne rigate pasta, cooked and drained according to package directions, chilled
- 3 Tbsp. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- to taste salt
- to taste ground black pepper
- Heat oil in saucepan. Add onions and cook until onions start to caramelize.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add prosciutto and sage. Cook the mixture for 20-25 minutes.
- Season the onions mixture to taste with freshly ground black pepper and salt.
- Toss all ingredients together with the paste, add cheese and serve with salad, garlic bread and wine.