Yield: eight dinner portions
Step 1 - Sausage
- 2 lb. Italian sausage links, boiled, skinned, browned and sliced
Step 2 - Vegetables
- 12 oz. sliced mushrooms (button or crimini)
- (2) 10 oz. packages of spinach, trimmed
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped garlic
Step 3 - Cheese Filling
- 2 lb. Ricotta cheese
- 2 each large eggs
- 1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaf
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
Step 4 - Lasagna
- (3) 1 qt. jars of prepared spaghetti sauce
- (3) 12 oz. bags of shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 each box lasagna noodles
Step 1 - Sausage procedure:
- Prepare the sausage and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
Step 2 - Vegetables procedure:
- Sauté the mushrooms and garlic in the olive oil over high heat until they brown lightly. Add the spinach to the same pan with the mushrooms and cover with a lid. The steam from the mushrooms will wilt the spinach. After about 1 minute, stir the mushrooms and spinach together. Remove to a flat baking tray to cool quickly.
Step 3 - Cheese Filling procedure:
- Combine the Ricotta, eggs, Parmesan, dried herbs, seasoning salt and pepper completely. Refrigerate until assembly.
Step 4 - Lasagna procedure:
- Using a large deep-sided casserole or lasagna pan, assemble the lasagna (the noodles do not need to be pre-cooked) in this manner:
- Spray the pan with no-stick spray; pour in and spread 1/2 jar of spaghetti sauce; lay in a layer of noodles, carefully trying to cover the bottom without too much overlap (some seams are inevitable and considered OK).
- Layer in the spinach and mushrooms; top with a layer of noodles; top with the remaining 1/2 jar of sauce.
- Lay the sliced sausage on top; sprinkle one bag of Mozzarella cheese on the sausage. Lay in a layer of noodles.
- Top with the Ricotta cheese, spread evenly over the noodles. Top with a final layer of noodles and pour another 1/2 jar of sauce over the noodles, spreading the sauce to cover the noodles.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake at 325°F for about 2 hours, or until the noodles have plumped and softened.
- Remove from the oven. At service, top with the remaining Mozzarella cheese and return to the oven for about 15 minutes at 400°F so that the cheese will melt and brown. Serve portions with the remaining sauce and your favorite grated cheese.