Yield: eight portions
- 1/2 c. fresh garlic, chopped fine
- 1/4 c. olive oil, virgin
- 1/4 c. rosemary, stripped, chopped
- 1/4 c. parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
- 2 lb. boneless lamb leg, trimmed
- 1/2 each red bell pepper, seeded
- 1/2 each yellow bell pepper, seeded
- 1 each zucchini, trimmed and sliced into slabs
- 1 each yellow squash, trimmed and sliced into slabs
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, trimmed and sliced thin
- 1 c. Feta cheese, drained and crumbled
- 4 each pita bread, 8-inch diameter, cut in half
- 1 lb. tomatoes
- as needed baba ghanoush (eggplant puree)
Oil mixture procedure:
- Combine all the oil mixture ingredients.
- Pour half of the oil mixture over the lamb and rub it onto the meat. Marinate at least 24 hours.
- Pour the rest of the oil mixture over the vegetables at least 3 hours before cooking.
- Over high heat on the lower rack of the grill, brown the lamb evenly on both sides. Place the lamb on the upper rack or cooler side of the grill and continue cooking until desired doneness is achieved.
- While the lamb is finishing cooking, grill the vegetables until they are charred and tender. Remove them from the grill and chop or cut them into thin strips.
- Remove the lamb to a tray and let it rest for 5 minutes before carving thinly across the grain of the meat.
- Stuff the sliced lamb into a half pita, and top with vegetables, baba ghanoush (eggplant puree), lettuce, tomatoes and Feta cheese.