Yield: four appetizer portions
- 1 each loaf, Italian bread, cut into spears
- as needed fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. fresh garlic, chopped
- 3 c. escarole or endive, chopped, washed and drained
- 3 c. radicchio, chopped and washed
- 1 each Belgian endive, chopped
- 1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, sliced
- 2 c. Romano cheese, shredded
- Sauté the bread in the olive oil over medium heat until it is browned on one side. Repeat until all the pieces are brown; hold them on absorbent paper.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic until golden brown. Add the greens and radicchio and sauté until it withers and turns lightly brown. Add the endive and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook until the endive just begins to soften. Remove from heat.
- Top the bread with the cooked greens. Add the shredded cheese. Broil if desired to melt and lightly brown the cheese.