Yield: four portions
- 1/2 c. salad oil
- 2 c. Spanish onions, large dice
- 1 lb. chicken breast, large dice
- 1/4 c. fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 c. red sweet peppers, large dice
- 1/2 c. brandy
- 1 pt. apple cider
- 4 c. fresh pumpkin, seeded, blanched, peeled, large dice
- 1 pt. Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, large dice
- as needed cornstarch slurry
- 1 pt. red mole sauce
- to taste salt and ground black pepper
- In a 6-quart soup pot over high heat, add the oil. When it starts to ripple, add the onions and cook until they lightly brown. Add the chicken and cook until the pieces lightly brown. Add the garlic and red peppers and cook until the peppers are bright. Add the brandy away from the flame, return to flame and allow alcohol to flame and cook out for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the cider and pumpkin. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, until the pumpkin is tender.
- If necessary, while the mixture is simmering and using the slurry, adjust the thickness of the broth in the stew so it coats the back of a spoon. Add the mole sauce and heat but do not boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over your choice of rice.