Yield: one portion
- 1/3 c. olive oil, virgin
- 1 tsp. fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/4 c. red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. palillo (Peruvian herb with a yellow coloring) or ground turmeric
- 15 each leaves hierbabuena (Spanish for 'mint'), but into thin strips
- 1 pinch ground cumin seed
- 1 1/2 tsp. yellow hot pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 each jumbo shrimp, raw, shell removed, sand vein removed
- as needed olive oil, virgin
- to taste salt
- to taste gresh ground black pepper
- In a medium sauté pan over high heat, sauté the garlic and onion in olive oil until the onion becomes transparent. Add the palillo, cumin, hot pepper, water and mint. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Hold warm.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper, brush them with olive oil and grill them over high heat for about 5 minutes on each side. The shrimp will turn bright pink and light brown on the outside.
- At service, shrimp can be plated on top of mashed potatoes or rice. Stand the shrimp up in the starch so that the tails point upward.
- Spoon the sauce over the shrimp and garnish with steamed or sautéed baby green peas sprinkled over the plate.