Yield: two 8 oz. dinners
Step 1 - Dressing
- 1 each lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- to taste salt and ground pepper
Step 2 - Vegatable Slaw
- 1 each zucchini (medium, about 1 1/2 c. cut)
- 1 each red pepper (large, about 1 c. cut)
- 1/2 c. sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1 each orange or yellow pepper (large, about 1 c. cut)
Step 3 - Haddock
- 1 lb. haddock fillet, boneless, skinless
- 3 c. seasoned flour (1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. ground pepper, 1 Tbsp. dried parsley)
- 4 each eggs, beaten well
- 1/2 lb. butter
- 1 each lemon, squeezed, de-seeded
Step 1 - Dressing procedure:
- Combine all the liquid ingredients for the dressing and mix well. This can be held for up to 5 days. Pour over the vegatables just before service.
Step 2 - Vegatable Slaw procedure:
- Mix the cut vegetables together in a bowl. Just before service, pour the dressing over the vegetables. (The acids in the dressing will cause the green vegetables to turn dark.)
Step 3 - Haddock procedure:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Cut fillets into at least 4 pieces. Coat thoroughly in seasoned flour. Heat a large sauté/fry pan over high heat. Dip the haddock into the egg mixture and coat on all sides. Add 1/2 of the butter to the hot pan. If it smokes a little, that is OK. Add the fish and cook until golden brown on both sides (the fish will be raw in the center). Remove the fry pan from the heat. Place the fish on an oven pan. Put it into the oven and it will take approximately 7 minutes to cook through. Haddock needs to be cooked thoroughly, but not cooked dry. It has a peculiar mouth feel when it is undercooked.
- When the fish is almost done (press it and look for the clear juices to run out through the coating), return the fry pan to the heat. Melt the rest of the butter over high heat and wait until it starts to brown. Add the lemon and swirl it into the butter -- you should see the mixture froth. Remove the cooked fish from the oven, place onto serving plates and pour as much of the butter sauce over the fish as you would like.
- Serve with the vegetable slaw and your choice of potato or starch.