Yield: four portions
- 1 each whole chicken, about 3 lb. avg.
- 2 Tbsp. olive or salad oil
- 1/4 c. elephant garlic, peeled, sliced 1/4' thick
- 1 each bulb fresh fennel (sweet anise), trimmed, sliced into 1/2' thick pieces
- 1 c. baby carrots
- 1/2 each red bell pepper, cleaned and cut into 1/8
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 c. fresh herbs, chopped (can include rosemary, thyme, marjoram, tarragon)
- as needed fresh ground black pepper
- as needed salt
- 2 c. water
- Remove chicken from store wrappings, wash and trim the tail, excess fat and skin. Remove the innards bag from the chicken and discard.
- Sauté the garlic slices, fennel, carrots and red peppers in the oil over high heat until they stop steaming and are golden brown on the edges.
- Season the chicken inside and out with the herbs, salt and pepper. Place the chicken on the caramelized vegetables in a roasting pan and place uncovered into a 350°F oven. After 45 minutes, the chicken skin should be brown. Add the water and cover with foil, or baste every 15 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken that is read with an oven thermometer reads 160°F, or until the store timer pops out.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 20 minutes before you carve it. Use the liquid in the pan for gravy and serve with the vegetables.