Yield: six portions for each two loaves of bread and two topping combinations
- 2 each frozen bread dough
- 1 each large egg, beaten, for egg wash
- 8 oz. Ricotta cheese
- 1 each large egg
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped garlic
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 2 oz. sliced prosciutto ham
- 1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 1/2 c. fresh basil leaves
- 4 oz. cooked roast beef, thinly sliced and julienne
- 4 oz. grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 c. sliced Spanish onions, cooked until golden brown and cooled
- 8 oz. bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained, cooled
- (2) 12 oz. packags shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c. sliced green peppers, cooked and cooled
- 1/2 c. button mushrooms, cooked and cooled
- 1/2 c. capocollo or hot ham thin sliced and julienne
- 1/4 c. shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 3 c. prepared Italian tomato sauce
- Thaw bread dough in your refrigerator for 24 hours so that it is soft to the touch.
- Prepare your favorite fillings (ingredients 8-20) and cool them. This can be done up to one day ahead.
- Combine the Ricotta cheese with the grated Parmesan cheese, egg, parsley and pepper.
- Cut the dough crosswise into 4 equal pieces (for strombolis) or leave it whole (for calzones). Let the dough pieces come to room temperature while covered (this takes about 30 minutes). Roll out each dough piece on a lightly floured surface. Let them rest.
- Fill each of the calzones or strombolis with your favorite flavor fillings. You can use the groupings above as suggestions. Brush the nearest edge of the dough with the egg wash. Fold over the dough so that it touches the egg-washed side with a 1/4-inch overlap. Tuck the edges under and place the dough pocket seam-side down on a baking tray. Allow the individual pockets to rest (proof) in a warm place by your stove for about 30 minutes. Brush each pocket when it is ready to be put into the oven with the egg wash. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake the pockets at 375°F for about 20 minutes or until they are golden brown and puffy.
- Remove and serve hot with warmed sauce for dipping.