Yield: six portions
- 1 Tbsp. virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 c. red onion, small diced
- 3 c. eggplant, skinned, small diced
- 1/2 c. button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 c. yellow squash, medium diced
- 1 c. zucchini, medium dice
- 1 c. plum tomatoes, concasse
- 1/2 c. red bell pepper, small diced
- 1/2 c. Anaheim chilies, small diced
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chiffonade
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- to taste salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. pasta, cooked according to manufacturer’s directions
- as needed all-purpose flour
- as needed salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb. tilapia fillets
- Sauté garlic in the olive oil in a large sauté pan over high heat until golden brown. Add onion and eggplant, allowing the eggplant to cook until soft. Add the remaining vegetables and the tomato paste. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are bright in color. Add the herbs and adjust the seasoning. Remove from heat. The finished ratatouille should be bright in color with a little residual liquid.
- Dredge the fillets in the seasoned flour. Sauté over high heat for about 2 minutes on each side until the fish flakes and browns lightly.
- Serve the fillets over the top of hot pasta, with the ratatouille in place of traditional sauce. Top with fresh grated cheese.