Yield: two quarts
- 2 1/2 lb. beef bones, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. salad oil
- 3/4 c. Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 c. carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 c. celery, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 c. tomato paste
- 3 qt. water
- 1 each bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. whole peppercorns
- 1/4 c. parsley stems
- Rub the bones with the oil. Place on a roasting pan with two-inch sides and brown them completely in a 400°F oven.
- When the bones are almost brown, add the chopped vegetables and allow them to brown.
- In the last five minutes of browning, smear the tomato paste all over the bones. Allow the tomato paste to brown.
- Add the bones and vegetable to a large stock or soup pot. Add the water, herbs and pepper and simmer for eight hours. The stock will be rich brown in color. Strain and discard all the bones and vegetables.
- The stock should be chilled quickly in an ice bath or in the refrigerator in a shallow metal pan.
- The stock may be frozen for use as needed.