Yield: Four portions
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 c. fresh pepermint leaves, stemmed, washed, blanched and shocked
- 1 c. strawberries
- 8 each Challah bread, sliced thick
- 8 each eggs
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. Frangelica liqueur
- as needed clarified butter
- as needed powder sugar
- as needed whipped cream
- as needed whole cleaned strawberries
- as needed fresh mint sprigs
- Combine the water and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, making thick simple syrup. Chill completely.
When the mint is blanched and cold, add it to half of the syrup and blend until the leaves are as fine as possible. Pass through a fine sieve to remove any mint particles and let rest for one hour or overnight, refrigerated. Repeat the process with the strawberries. The finished syrups will be deep green and red in color, and slightly thick when cold.
- Any leftover syrup may be covered tightly and refrigerated or frozen for later use.
French Toast procedure:
- Combine the eggs, cream and liqueur. Soak the bread in the egg batter and fry over medium heat on both sides until they are golden brown and the bread puffs slightly.
- Plate two pieces of toast; dust with powder sugar, top with cream and drizzle with the strawberry and mint syrups, garnishing with additional berries and mint, if desired.