Yield: two portions
- 2 each duck breasts
- as needed salt
- as needed ground black pepper
- as needed clarified butter
- 1/4 c. brandy
Fruit and Vegetables
- 1/2 c. carrots, medium dice
- 1/2 c. Spanish onions, medium dice
- 1/2 c. celery, medium dice
- 1 c. Granny Smith apples, large dice
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 tsp. grapefruit zest
- 1/2 tsp. lime zest
- 1/2 c. citrus fruit juice
- 1/2 c. apple cider
- 1/4 c. butter, cold, small pieces
- to taste salt
- to taste ground black pepper
- Season the duck breasts. Over high heat, sauté the duck skin side down until it is crispy brown in color. Flip the duck over, sear briefly on the meat side, and add the brandy away from the flame. Return it to the burner and allow the alcohol to burn off. Remove the duck breast to an oven-proof dish and place it into a 400°F oven for about five minutes, cooking the breast meat to medium.
Fruit and Vegetables procedure:
- While the duck cooks in the oven, add the carrots, onions, celery, then the apples, fruit zest, cider, and fruit juice to the pan, and cook for about five minutes, until all the vegetables are tender and the liquid in the pan is reduced.
- Swirl in the butter and turn off the heat.
- Remove the breast from the oven and allow it to rest for five minutes before serving.
- Slice the duck and serve over the top of fruit and vegetables with the pan butter sauce.