Yield: one, 10-inch tart
Step 1 - Tart
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 lb. butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 each large egg
- 2 tsp. tarragon, stripped, minced
- 2 tsp. basil, leaves, minced
Step 2 - Filling
- 3/4 lb. zucchini, washed and trimmed, cut into 1/4” thick slices
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, ground
- 1/2 c. salad oil
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 c. shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 tsp. tarragon, stripped, minced
- 2 tsp. basil leaves, minced
- 5 oz. chilled saga blue cheese, cut into 1/8” thick slices
Step 1 - Tart procedure:
- Work flour and butter into small crumb. Add remaining ingredients and mix until just combined with hands. Rest for 10 minutes.
- Spray lightly with no stick (it will help you later, unless you have a coated tart shell pan).
- Using a floured rolling pin and board, shape dough into even flat sheet two inches larger than your tart shell. Pick up and press dough into shell. Trim edges. Chill.
Step 2 - Filling procedure:
- Dredge zucchini in flour and sauté in hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Reserve on absorbent paper.
- Sprinkle shredded cheeses into tart shell. Cover with even layer of zucchini. Top with fresh herbs. Bake the tart at 400°F for 10 minutes, or until the zucchini is sizzling.
- Remove from the oven, top with the slices of saga cheese; return to the oven and bake for five minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Remove; allow the tart to cool for five minutes to allow the tart to set up.
- Cut into appetizer or hors d’oeuvre portions and serve hot.