Yield: two quarts
- 1 1/2 lb. red bell peppers, roasted, skins and seeds removed
- 1/4 c. olive oil, virgin
- 3 c. Spanish onions, peeled, large dice
- 2 c. potatoes, peeled, rough chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh garlic, rough chopped
- 1 qt. chicken bouillon or water
- to taste salt
- to taste ground white pepper
- as needed red sweet peppers, fine chopped
- as needed sour cream
- To prepare the peppers on a gas burner, hold the pepper over the flame using tongs or a kitchen fork. Turn the pepper and roast until the surface is evenly charred. The pepper should be almost completely black in color. Place the pepper in a plastic bag or in a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap to loosen the skin. When the pepper is cool enough to handle, remove the charred skin.
- This process also may be done over high heat on a grill, or at 500°F in an oven.
- Sweat the onions in the oil until the onions are tender.
- Add the potatoes, peppers, garlic and stock and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Purée the soup and season.
- Garnish with a swirl of sour cream and fresh chopped peppers, if desired.