Yield: Six portions
- 1/4 lb. slab bacon, cut into chucks
- 1/4 lb. salted butter
- 1 each large leek, sliced into 1/2' thick slices
- 1 each head Savoy or Napa cabbage, core removed, cut into 1/4' slices
- 1 each Anaheim chili pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 each Granny Smith apple, peeled, seeded, quartered
- 1 each bottle of Pilsner beer
- as needed salt and ground pepper
- In a large braiser or heavy saucepot, add the bacon and butter, sautéing over high heat until the bacon begins to brown.
- Add the leeks and cook until they begin to soften but are still dark green.
- Add the cabbage, chili, apple and beer, and bring the liquid to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer covered until the cabbage is tender. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve the cabbage on a large platter with the finished cassoulet or your favorite meat and potatoes.