Yield: four portions
- 1/4 lb. slab bacon, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 c. Spanish onions, sliced
- 1 each Anaheim chili pepper, chopped with the seeds
- 1 bun. collard greens, sliced, washed
- 1 pt. water
- 1/4 c. salted butter
- to taste salt
- In a large saucepot over medium high heat, render the bacon. Add onions and chili pepper, and cook them until they brown lightly.
- Add the greens and stir, allowing the greens to begin to wilt.
- Add the water and cover, lowering the heat to a simmer. Cook the greens for about 1-1/2 hours, or until they are army green in color and tender.
- When the greens are tender, uncover and raise the heat to eliminate most of the water. Swirl in the butter just before serving, and season with salt if desired.