Yield: eight portions
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped small
- 2 c. Forbidden rice
- 6 c. water
- 1/4 c. parsley
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
Option A - Grilled Vegetable Marinade
- 1/2 c. rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. parsley, chopped
- 1/4 c. chives, chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 c. virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c. yellow squash, small dice
- 1/2 c. scallions, sliced on the bias
- 1/2 c. red sweet peppers, small dice
- 1/2 c. sweet corn, stripped, simmered, shocked
Option B - Dressing for the Finished Salad
- 1/4 c. chives, fine chopped
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
Forbidden Rice procedure:
- Sweat onions in olive oil over medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer covered for about 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain off any excess water and cool.
Option A - Grilled Vegetable Marinade procedure:
- If you want to grill the vegetables, cut them into slabs and leave the corn in the husk. Combine all the ingredients in the marinade and pour over the vegetables. Marinate for one hour.
- Cook the vegetables on a preheated grill over medium heat for about five minutes each side. The vegetables will become golden brown and lightly crisp on the outside and soft in the center.
- Cool the vegetables and cut them into large dice or strip pieces and remove the corn from the husk, and proceed with adding them to the salad.
Option B - Dressing for the Finished Salad procedure:
- If you want to use the vegetables as a crunchy garnish, follow the cutting and preparation directions next to each vegetable in the ingredients column. Then, add the dressing ingredients listed below to the vegetables when you are ready to make and serve the salad.
- Mix the chives, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Combine the rice with the vegetables and dressing and serve chilled or immediately at room temperature.