Yield: Six portions
- 1 c. Kalijira white miniature rice
- 2 c. water
- 1 1/2 lb. beef tenderloin tips, cut into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. rosemary, stemmed, chopped
- 1/2 c. brandy
- 1/4 c. Spanish onions, chopped
- 1/2 c. leeks, sliced and washed
- 1 c. fresh baby artichoke bottoms and hearts, sliced
- 1 c. asparagus, trimmed and sliced
- 2 c. mixed mushrooms, stemmed, washed, sliced
- 2 c. water
- 1/2 c. tomatoes, blanched, skin and seeds removed, chopped
- 1/4 c. parsley, chopped
- to taste salt
- to taste ground black pepper
Step 1-Rice procedure:
- Bring the water to a boil in a small sauce pan. Add the rice, lower the heat, cover and simmer the rice over medium-low heat, for about 10 minutes or until rice is just soft. Hold warm
Step 2-Beef procedure:
- Season the beef with the salt and pepper prior to cooking.
- Over high heat in a large sauté or frying pan, sauté the beef in olive oil until the beef is browned. Add the garlic and rosemary and allow it to become fragrant. Remove the pan from the heat and add the brandy. Return to the heat and allow the brandy to flame and evaporate. Remove the meat mixture from the pan into baking dish and reserve.
Step 3-Vegetables procedure:
- In the same pan you cooked the beef in, add the onions and leeks to the pan and over high heat allow them to brown lightly.
- Add the artichokes, asparagus, mushrooms, and parsley. Cook until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the water, tomatoes and parsley, stirring until the liquid thickens lightly.
- Return the cooked beef mixture to the vegetables and stir to re-heat and combine. Season the beef and vegetables to taste.
- Serve the beef and vegetable mixture on a platter with the rice mounded in the center.