Yield: four portions
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper, ground
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, ground
- 3 each sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 c. salad oil
- 1/4 c. clarified butter
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. Spanish onions, chopped
- 1/2 c. celery, chopped
- 1/2 c. green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c. button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 c. water or seafood stock
- 1 c. white wine
- 1/2 c. diced tomatoes, fresh
- 1 lb. crawfish tails, peeled
- 1/2 c. green onions, sliced
- Combine seasonings in a small bowl and reserve.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepot over high heat, add the oil, butter and flour, stirring constantly, until the flour is lightly browned.
- Add the vegetables and the spice blend and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the water, wine, tomatoes, crawfish and green onions. Stir until smooth, cover the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring once to avoid sticking in the bottom of the pan.
- Serve with plain-boiled rice.