Yield: six, 3 1/2" souffles
- 2 Tbsp. clarified butter
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. milk, hot
- 1/2 c. Havarti cheese, grated
- 1 c. ham, diced
- 1 c. asparagus, sliced, blanched, shocked
- 3 each egg yolks
- to taste salt
- to taste white pepper, ground
- as needed no-stick spray
- 3 each egg whites
- Make white roux by combining the butter and flour over medium heat in a saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the milk and stir until it thickens. Lower the heat to low and allow the béchamel to cook for an additional 15 minutes. If making the béchamel one day ahead, cool in an ice-water bath and refrigerate.
- Allow the béchamel to cool slightly, then add the cheese, ham, asparagus and the egg yolks. Season the mixture.
- Prepare the molds for the soufflé by spraying them with no-stick spray.
- At the last moment, beat whites until stiff. Fold equal parts of ham and vegetable base and whites together. Spoon the mixture into soufflé dishes so they are full without touching the rim.
- Place the filled molds in 2” rectangular glass baking dish into oven. Add water 1/2' up the side of the dish. Bake at 400° until the soufflé is puffed but slightly soft in the center.
- Serve hot within 20 seconds or steam will subside and soufflé will fall.