Yield: six portions
- 2 each large eggs
- 3/4 c. milk
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Beat the eggs thoroughly. Add the milk.
- Beat in the flour, salt and pepper, mixing until the batter develops a stringy consistency. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour the batter into a large-holed colander. Force the batter through the holes (using a scraping motion with a rubber spatula) into a large pot of rapidly boiling water.
- Allow the spatzeli to cook for about 1 minute. They can be served immediately, or chilled in cold water and reheated for service at a later time.