Yield: four portions
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
- 2 Tbsp. fresh sage leaves, rough chopped
- 1/2 c. fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
- 3 each eggs
- 3 c. breadcrumbs
- 1/4 c. virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. salad oil
- Lay the chicken breast on a flat work surface. Place some of the sage and cheese on 1/2 of the chicken, and fold the breast over the cheese to make a sandwich.
- Coat all of the stuffed chicken breasts in the seasoned flour, and then dip them one at a time into the egg mixture. Using one of your hands, remove the chicken from the egg mixture and let it drain briefly in your hand. Lay the chicken into the bread crumbs, and with your dry hand, coat the breast completely with crumbs.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil and when it begins to ripple, add the chicken and brown it on both sides. Place the chicken on a baking sheet and finish baking at 350° for about 10 minutes, or until cheese begins to ooze from the chicken. Remove the breast from the oven and allow to rest for 3 minutes.
- Slice the breast into pieces and serve it with your favorite pasta and vegetables.