Yield: two quarts
- 1/2 c. salted butter
- 2 c. Spanish onions, chopped
- 1 c. celery, chopped
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 bun. asparagus, trimmed, chopped
- 4 c. water
- 1/2 c. chopped parsley
- 1 each bay leaf
- 1 1/2 c. heavy cream
- In a medium soup pot over medium heat, sweat the onions and celery on the butter until they are soft.
- Add the flour and stir until it is combined.
- Add the asparagus, water, bay leaf and parsley and simmer the soup for 1/2 hour.
- Puree the soup in a blender in small batches, or remove the soup from the heat and puree it with an immersion blender.
- Return the soup to the heat and add the heavy cream.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and serve hot.