Yield: two loaves
- 1 1/2 c. water, warm
- 2 each pkgs. dry yeast
- 5 c. all-purpose or bread flour
- 1 Tbsp. virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- Combine the yeast and water in a mixing bowl and let the yeast begin to grow for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, olive oil and then the salt. Mixing by hand or on speed one of your electric mixer, knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic.
- Lightly oil a bowl, put the bread in and cover it with plastic wrap. Allow the bread to double in size.
- Punch down the dough, removing all of the air.
- Cut the dough into 2 equal pieces.
- Shape the pieces of dough into round, smooth balls.
- Flatten the dough and tug it into a rectangle.
- Roll up the dough and pinch the bottom seam together.
- Place the bread seam-side down on a baking tray. Brush with egg wash. Place in a warm part of your kitchen and allow the loaves to double in size.
- Place the loaves into the oven and bake at 375° for about 30 minutes or until the loaf is browned and hollow when tapped.