Yield: 12 portions
- 2 Tbsp. hot pepper rub
- 2 lb. chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into strips
- 1/2 c. salad oil
- 1 1/2 lb. hot Italian sausage, sliced
- 3 c. Spanish onions, chopped
- 2 c. green bell peppers, diced
- 1 c. celery, diced
- 1/2 c. brandy
- 1 1/2 lb. shrimp, peeled, de-veined
- 4 c. baby spinach
- 1 1/2 c. tomato sauce
- 12 each small French bread rolls, tops and centers removed and served in a separate bowl
- 1 c. sour cream or flavored dip
- 1/4 lb. blue cheese, crumbled
- Coat the chicken with the hot pepper rub at least 4 hours before cooking.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed sauce pot, brown the sausage in the oil. Add the chicken and brown them with the sausage.
- Add the onions, peppers and celery and cook them until they are bright in color.
- Add the brandy to the pot, and use a flame to ignite the brandy. Add the shrimp and allow them to cook while the brandy burns off.
- Add the spinach and tomato sauce, and simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Serve the chicken mixture in the rolls, using them as an edible bowl.
- Top the chicken with crumbled blue cheese and sour cream.
- Serve the bread tops and scraps with additional sour cream dip and sauce from the chicken.