Yield: eight dessert portions
Step 1 - Cake
- 2 each 9-inch yellow cake layers
Step 2 - Whipped Cream
- 3 each 1/2 pts. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Step 3 - Topping
- 1 each prepared whipped cream from Step 2
- 1 c. strawberry preserves
- 1 qt. fresh strawberries, hulled and cleaned
Step 1 - Cake procedure:
- Bake cake according to directions on box and cool overnight.
Step 2 - Whipped Cream procedure:
- Whip the heavy cream in a chilled mixing bowl on half speed for 4 minutes until the cream begins to thicken. Increase the speed to high and whip until soft peaks form.
- Turn off the mixer and scrape the bowl. Add the sugar and the vanilla. Mix until the sugar is absorbed and stiff peaks form.
Step 3 - Topping procedure:
- Split the layers in half and spread the preserves over 3 layers, but not the top layer.
- Assemble the cake by spreading equal amounts of cream and stacking the layers. Place the top layer on the cake and spread the whipped cream on the sides.
- Top the cake with the remaining cream and decorate with berries and rosettes of cream if desired.