Yield: six portions
- 1 lb. potato, peeled
- 1/2 c. cooking oil
- 2 1/2 lb. chicken breast or thigh meat, cubed
- 1 c. Bombay onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp. ginger, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp. curry leaves or bay leaves
- 3/4 c. curry powder, hot
- 1/2 c. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 each packages of chicken bouillon
- 1 qt. water
- 1/2 c. tamarind extract
- 3 c. coconut milk
- Boil potatoes until cooked halfway through. Drain and hold warm.
- Over high heat in a large heavy-bottomed pot or sauté pan, sauté chicken cubes, onion, garlic and ginger in the oil until they are golden brown.
- Add curry leaves, curry powder, and turmeric powder; cook until fragrant.
- Add salt, chicken bouillon, water and the potatoes, simmering until the potatoes are tender and the sauce is thickened slightly with the starch from the potatoes.
- Bring mixture to a boil and add tamarind juice and coconut milk. Then reduce the heat and allow the mixture to reduce for about 5 minutes, until the sauce lightly coats the back of a spoon.
- Serve with steamed greens, leafy vegetables and plain boiled rice.