Yield: 15 hors d’oeuvre portions
- 1 c. shredded mixed variety cheese
- 1 c. Spanish onion, sliced, cooked and cooled
- 1/2 c. sweet red peppers, sliced, cooked and cooled
- 1 each packaged baby spinach, cooked and cooled
- 1 lb. smoked sliced pork loin, cut julienne
- 1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, cut julienne
- 1/4 c. golden raisins
- 1/4 c. seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. parsley, fresh, chopped
- as needed salt
- as needed ground black pepper
- 1 each package frozen phyllo dough
- 1 c. extra virgin olive oil
- Combine together the cheese, onions, peppers, spinach, pork, tomatoes, raisins and breadcrumbs. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Lay out the phyllo one sheet at a time on a flat surface so that the longest side is facing you. Brush it with the olive oil. Continue this process until you have four layers.
- Place a 2-inch by 2-inch row of filling down the bottom third of the dough. Stop 1/2-inch from each edge. Carefully slip your fingers under each edge and roll up the phyllo dough. Brush the exposed outside edge as you roll. Place the roll on a baking sheet. This can be done up to 4 hours ahead.
- Bake the strudel rolls at 375°F for about 30 minutes, until they are golden brown on the outside and they just begin to puff. Remove from the oven and allow the strudels to cool for about 5 minutes. Slice with a serrated knife and serve on a decorative platter with your favorite holiday beverage.