Yield: eight portions
- 1/2 lb. raw shrimp, shells and sand vein removed
- 1/2 lb. sea scallops
- 1/2 lb. squid tubes, but into ringlets
- 1 qt. water
- 1/2 c. onion, sliced
- 1/2 c. celery, sliced
- 2 each bay leaves
- 1 each lemon, sliced into 4 crosswise
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- as needed a few sprigs of fresh herbs
- as needed ice water
- 1 c. golden Italian dressing, emulsified style
- 1/4 c. tomato purée
- 1 each bulb of elephant garlic, put in half of skins, rubbed with olive oil, and baked at 400° until soft
- 1/4 c. tarragon vinegar
- 1/2 c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. red sweet peppers, sliced into small pieces
- 1/2 c. yellow peppers, sliced into small pieces
- 1/2 c. scallions, sliced into small pieces
- 1/2 c. celery, small diced
- 1/2 c. Kalamata olives, sliced
- Prepare all the seafood as directed and keep cold.
- In a 2 qt. saucepot, bring the water, sliced onion and celery, bay leaves, lemon, wine and herbs to a boil. After 10 minutes, strain the water into another saucepot, and discard all the vegetables and herbs. Bring the water to a simmer over medium heat and cook the seafood items separately, until each of them is firm and white in color. Remove each seafood item with a slotted spoon and put directly into the ice water to stop the cooking process. When all the seafood is cooked and cold, remove from the water and keep refrigerated. This step can be done one day ahead.
- Make the dressing in a blender by combining the Italian dressing, purée, garlic removed from the skins, vinegar, sun-dried tomatoes and sugar until it is almost smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the chilled seafood, tossing with the olives and vegetables. Keep cold until served.