Yield: four salad portions
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cooked crisp, fat saved, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 c. shallots, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp. bacon fat
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns, fresh ground
- 1/4 c. olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/2 c. sherry wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 8 c. fresh baby spinach, trimmed and washed
- 2 each eggs, hardboiled, yolks and whites separated and chopped fine
- Sweat the shallots, bacon fat and peppercorns in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the shallots are transparent.
- While over the heat, whisk in the olive oil, vinegar and sugar. Increase the heat to high and whisk until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Whisk in the Dijon mustard until completely dissolved.
- Toss dressing with the spinach just before serving. Plate and garnish with the chopped eggs.