Yield: two quarts
- 2 Tbsp. salad oil
- 1 c. Spanish onion, sliced
- 3/4 c. carrots, sliced thin
- 1/2 c. lean pork, cut into thin strips
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 qt. water
- 1/4 lb. shrimp, peeled, de-veined, sliced thin
- 1/4 c. bamboo shoots, sliced
- 1/2 c. water chestnuts, sliced
- 3/4 c. shitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced thin
- 1/2 c. snow peas, sliced thin
- 1/2 c. white shiro-miso paste
- 1 c. scallions, sliced thin
- 1/2 c. mirin
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 3/4 c. firm tofu, sliced into sticks
Step 1 procedure:
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onions, carrots and pork in salad oil until the onions are limp and the pork is white. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the water and bring the soup to a simmer, cooking until the carrots are just tender.
Step 2 procedure:
- Add the shrimp, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, mushrooms and snow peas.
Step 3 procedure:
- When the peas have become bright green, add the miso paste, stirring to dissolve the miso. Add the scallions, mirin, sesame oil and pepper.
Step 4 procedure:
- When the soup begins to simmer, adjust the seasoning, then add the tofu and serve immediately.