Yield: ten rolls
For the Egg Rolls
- 2 c. chicken, cooked and cubed
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 c. chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 tsp. fresh garlic, chopped fine
- 2 each green onions, minced
- 1 each 12 oz. can cooked kernel corn, drained
- 1 each 12 oz. can cooked black beans, drained
- 1 each 10 oz. bag frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 Tbsp. jalapeño peppers, drained, chopped fine
- 1 each taco seasoning envelope
- 3/4 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 10 each 7” flour tortillas
For the Sauce
- 1 each ripe avocado, smashed
- 1 each 8 oz. ranch dressing
For the Egg Rolls procedure:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the red pepper, onion and garlic and sauté until tender. Add the cooked chicken, corn, black beans, spinach, jalapeños and taco seasoning to the pan. Cook for another 4 minutes, stirring so that the spinach becomes mixed evenly into the rest of the ingredients. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the cheese until it is melted.
- Wrap the tortillas in a moist cloth and microwave them on high for 1 minute or until they become hot and soft. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the mixture into the center of the tortilla. Dampen the edges of the tortilla slightly so that it will seal well, then fold in the ends and roll the tortilla up tightly. Secure the ends with a toothpick. Repeat the procedure with the remaining ingredients.
- Heat 6 cups of vegetable oil in a deep soup pot to 375. This takes about 5 minutes over high heat if you do not have a thermometer. Lower the egg rolls a few at a time and deep-fry them until they are golden brown on the outside. Remove them with a slotted spoon from the oil and drain them on absorbent paper.
- To serve, slice each egg roll diagonally in half and serve on a plate around a pool of the avocado sauce.
For the Sauce procedure:
- Prepare the avocado ranch sauce by mixing the two ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.