Yield: two dinner portions
- 3 Tbsp. clarified butter
- 1/4 c. Spanish onion, small diced
- 1/4 c. fresh garlic, shiopped
- 1 c. fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (sofrito)
- 3/4 c. arborio rice
- 2 1/2 c. clam broth
- 1 c. water, as needed
- 1/4 lb. shrimp, cleaned, split in half
- 1/4 lb. scallops, sliced
- 1 each lobster tail, shell removed and cut into think pieces
- 1 each spring of fresh oregano
- 1 each spring of fresh thyme
- as needed salt and fresh ground pepper
- Melt the butter in a 3 qt. saucepot over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes and red pepper flakes and sauté until the vegetables are soft but not browned. Add the rice and stir until the rice is coated with the butter.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add the clam broth in 1/2 cup batches, stirring constantly, adding each additional 1/2 c. of broth as the rice absorbs the liquid. The rice will become mushy like porridge or oatmeal as you cook it this way.
- Add the seafood and herb sprigs when the rice is soft. Add additional water if the rice seems thick. Stir the seafood into the rice and cover, allowing the seafood to simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid, stir; adjust the seasoning and consistency of the rice.
- Serve in a large soup plate with bread and fresh grated Italian cheese.