Yield: four portions
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed
- 2 each oranges, zested and juiced
- 1 each lemons, zested and juiced
- 1/2 bun. tarragon, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 c. honey
- 1/4 c. virgin olive oil
- to taste salt
- to taste white pepper, ground
- 1/2 c. mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 c. red sweet peppers, diced small
- Trim the asparagus and wash it. Bring to a boil 1 quart of water. Add the asparagus and cook it until it is just done (al dente -- to the bite). Immediately submerge the asparagus into cold ice water, stirring it around until it quickly becomes cold. Drain and refrigerate.
- Take the zest from the citrus fruit and soak it in simmering water for 30 seconds to remove the preserving wax on it. Chop it fine. Add it to the juices, tarragon, honey and oil, and mix well. Season to taste.
- Pour the marinade dressing over the asparagus and top with diced peppers and mandarin oranges. The asparagus should be marinated for at least 4 hours, but can be prepared and allowed to sit overnight, then served cold.