Yield: one 10" tart (ten portions)
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c. salted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 c. light brown sugar
- 2 each large egg yolks
- 1 each large egg
- 2 lb. real semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 2 c. macadamia nuts, chopped and toasted (your favorite nut can be substituted)
- Combine the butter, flour and sugar on medium speed in a mixer until small lumps of butter are formed and mixture looks mealy. Add the egg and yolks and mix by hand until the dough becomes pliable and one smooth piece. Cover and rest for about 30 minutes. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin until it is only 1/4-inch thick. Press the dough into a 10- or 12-inch tart ring. Dock the dough and bake it for about 10 minutes at 375°F, or until it is lightly browned on the edges and completely cooked on the bottom. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Heat the heavy cream to a boil. Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Stir until the chocolate melts and absorbs all the cream. Cool until the chocolate is runny but barely warm to the touch.
- Pour chocolate into the baked tart shell. Sprinkle macadamia nuts on top of the soft chocolate. Cool and refrigerate.
- Tart can be served cold, or at room temperature with a rosette of whipped cream and fresh fruit.