Yield: six dessert portions
- 1 each sheet of puff pastry, thawed, cut into 3 equal lengthwise strips, docked, egg-washed, chilled and baked at 400°F until golden brown
- 1 each instant vanilla pudding box
- 2 c. heavy cream, whipped stiff
- 1 pt. fresh fruit, cleaned (raspberries or strawberries preferred)
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- as needed warm water
- 1/4 lb. real semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted over a gently steaming water bath
- Lay one piece of cooled, baked puff pastry on a flat work surface.
- Mix one-third of the whipped cream with the pudding so that it becomes lighter and easy to spread. Spread an even layer of the pudding about 1/2-inch thick on the puff pastry. Lay pieces of the fresh fruit on the cream.
- Top with the second layer of the baked puff pastry. Spread the remaining whipped cream in an even layer on the pastry. Lay pieces of the fresh fruit on the whipped cream.
- Top with the last piece of baked puff pastry.
- Mix the powdered sugar with the warm water a little at a time until it becomes slightly stiff and thick so that it can be spread. Spread the white icing over the top of the last piece of cooked puff pastry.
- Immediately dip a fork into the warm chocolate. Drizzle the chocolate in a crisscross pattern over the icing while it is still soft. Using a toothpick, draw through the chocolate lengthwise to make a design. Allow to chill for at least 4 hours before serving.