Yield: two quarts
- 2 lb. ripe plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- as needed virgin olive oil
- as needed salt
- as needed ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. virgin olive oil
- 1 c. leeks, white and green, chopped thin
- 1 c. carrots, sliced thin
- 1 c. celery, sliced thin
- 1 lb. red skin potatoes, peeled, rough cut small
- 1 qt. water
- 1/4 c. parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1/4 c. basil, fresh, chopped
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 lb. Stilton blue cheese, crumbled
- to taste salt
- to taste ground black pepper
Step 1 procedure:
- Place cleaned tomatoes on an oven sheet tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 300° for approximately 3 hours, or until the tomatoes have shrunk to half of their weight and have begun to brown slightly. Remove from the oven.
Step 2 procedure:
- Sweat the leeks, carrots and celery in oil until they are bright in color and slightly soft. Add the water, potatoes, roasted tomatoes and herbs. Simmer for 1 hour, or until the vegetables are all soft. Puree using an immersion blender, traditional blender or food processor.
Step 3 procedure:
- Return to the heat, add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. If the soup seems too thick, add additional water to get the consistency you prefer. Add the cheese and stir until completely melted. Adjust seasoning and hold soup warm until ready to serve.